Had a hellaciously bad windstorm blow through here a few hours ago. My particular neighborhood took a nice hit and for the first time in several years, the power is out. Thus far its been out for about three hours..which is actually quite a while for an in-town issue. Some neighborhoods are with power, some are not. My neighborhood is without power, but my house is with power.
I’ve got the Honda chained up outside and its been providing me with internet, full computer service, and microwaved my dinner. Lemme tell ya, that microwave is a pig…the minute I hit the power button you could hear the generator suddenly shift gears.
Inconvenienced? A bit. But I’m magnitudes of order better off than my neighbors. I’ve some 12v lighting rigged up to give me some area lighting around the house, but my computer room is pretty much The War Room. Lights, computer, laser printer, police scanner….life is good. In another hour or two I’ll swap out the extension cord and run the freezer and fridge for a little while. I fully expect the power back on by morning. If not…well, I’ve enough gas on hand to run the generator for a week if I need to.
- You really need quality extension cords and know where they’re at.
- I have a good cable and lock for the generator. A must.
- Battery lights for wandering around. The Streamlight Siege is awesome. Get three.
- The Goal O daisy-chainable 12 v. lights are also quite handy.
- Extra MagLites to pass to the neighbors are well appreciated
- LED lights are the way to go. No two ways about it.
- Your teenage neighbors will be your friends for life if you give them the pass to your functioning wifi.
- Got extra space in your freezer? Keep your water bottles in there so when the power goes out your stuff stays cooler longer.
More to follow.